Toxic plants for pets

If you suspect your pet may have come into contact with a toxic plant, seek veterinary attention immediately. If possible, bring along part of the plant so the veterinarian can identify it and treat your pet accordingly.

Below is a list of plants that may pose a risk to your pet’s health if eaten. All pet owners should be mindful before bringing these flowers and plants into the home:

Flowering Plants

  • All Lilies (inc Asian Lily, Stargazer, Tiger Lily, Wood Lily, Day Lily, Rubrum Lily, Climbing Lily and Lily of the Valley) Anyone who has a cat should never have lilies in their house or garden. Even a tiny amount, such as a young cat mouthing the foliage, is dangerous. All parts of the plant are toxic and can be fatal for cats. Cats may have anorexia and/or vomiting within a few hours. Acute kidney or liver failure can occur within 24 – 72 hours after exposure and may lead to death.
  • Amaryllis
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Autumn Crocus
  • Bird of Paradise
  • Iris
  • Kalanchoe
  • Cyclamen
  • Narcissus
  • Daffodil
  • Poinsettia
  • Tulip
  • Gladiola

Ferns

  • Asparagus Fern
  • Plumosa Fern
  • Emerald Feather
  • Lace Fern
  • Cycads - image right, can cause liver damage in pets

Indoor Plants

  • Aglaonema
  • Arrowhead Vine
  • Dracaena Fragans
  • Dracaena Marginata

Perennials

  • Mother-In-Law’s Tongue
  • Aloe Vera
  • Morning Glory
  • Arum or Calla
  • Anthurium